Steps in the Assessment Process
- First, you will meet with the intake coordinator who will take your vital signs, inquire about your needs, as well as other basic information. You will also meet with a clinician who will discuss any immediate risks or concerns that you have.
- So that we can better understand your needs, you will be asked about the reasons for coming to the hospital, as well as any other and important details. You will need to provide information about present or past medical conditions and complete some forms.
- You will meet with a psychiatrist to make final decisions on treatment options.
- You will also meet with members of the admissions staff to discuss the results of the evaluation and treatment recommendations.
- A patient financial services representative will discuss insurance options and/or policy limits with you.
Behind the Scenes
A number of “behind the scenes” activities must occur for us to complete your assessment including:
- A discussion of your case among the nurse clinician, psychiatrist, and other health care providers.
- Obtaining pre-certification, the process of having your insurance company authorize and pay for your treatment. This can be a time-consuming process.
- Verifying prescribed medications from pharmacies and physicians.
We will do our best to get you through this process as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and understanding of any unusually long waiting periods that may occur. The wait may be the result of one or more of these factors:
- The complex issues of the patients being assessed.
- A high volume of people coming to the hospital.
- The time needed to contact and confirm insurance information and prescribed medication.
Additional Medical Tests
Medical tests or evaluations not provided by Butler Hospital may sometimes be needed. If you need medical clearance or stabilization, we will explain what is recommended and assist with a transfer to an appropriate medical facility.