Isaac Ray Collection
Butler’s Historical Library includes the papers of Isaac Ray, MD, Butler’s first president, and a general historical collection. Isaac Ray, MD (1807-1881) served as Butler’s first president, 1845 – 1867. He was one of the thirteen original founding members of the Association of Medical Superintendents of American Institutions of the Insane, now known as the American Psychiatric Association.
The papers of Isaac Ray include:
- Miscellaneous items.
- Papers of Butler presidents 1844-1955.
- Papers of the Butler Hospital Training School for Nurses 1896-1942.
- Annual reports Butler Hospital 1844.
- Annual reports – assorted U.S. and European hospitals (mid 1800’s to early 900’s).
- Books –published prior to 1900.
- American Journal of Insanity 1844-1899.
- Journals published prior to 1900.
- Reprints of individual articles published prior to 1900.