The assessment process is designed to determine your diagnosis and treatment. You will meet with a psychiatrist and other members of the treatment team, who will complete a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation, take a medical and medication history, and verify insurance information. There are several other steps during the admission process.
During the assessment process you will:
- meet with the intake coordinator who will take your vital signs, inquire about your needs, and gather other basic information
- meet with a clinician who will discuss any immediate risks or concerns that you have
- be asked about the reasons for coming to the hospital, as well as any other important details
- need to provide information about present or past medical conditions and medications and complete some forms
- meet with a psychiatrist or advance practice nurse for the assessment and to make final decisions on treatment options
- meet with members of the PAS treatment team to further discuss the results of the evaluation and treatment recommendations.
- meet with a patient financial services representative to discuss insurance options and/or policy limits
A number of activities occur behind the scenes to enable us to complete your assessment. During your assessment, we will:
- discuss your case among the PAS nurse clinician, psychiatrist, and other health care providers
- obtain pre-certification, the process of having your insurance company authorize and pay for your treatment
- verify your current prescription medications from pharmacies and physicians
- sometimes contact outside providers for further information when needed
We will always do our best to get you through this process as quickly as possible. If there are any delays in the process, we appreciate your patience and understanding, as it may be a result of one or more of the following factors:
- the complex issues of the patients being assessed
- a high volume of people coming to the hospital
- the time needed to contact and confirm insurance information and prescribed medication
Additional tests or evaluations not provided at Butler Hospital may sometimes be needed for admission. If you need medical clearance due to other medical issues, we will explain what is recommended and assist with a transfer to an appropriate medical facility.
Back to the Patient Assessment Services