What is the purpose of the study?
The purpose of this research is to examine ways of coping with negative thoughts. Our goal is to learn the effectiveness of different strategies. Participants will be randomly assigned to learn one of three coping strategies.
You are 18 years of age or older and are currently experiencing depression. We are recruiting people with depression regardless of treatment they are receiving in the community.
Study participants will receive:
- A chance to learn a coping strategy that may help you manage negative thoughts.
- The chance to be part of a scientific research study that may shape and improve future treatment for others who suffer from depression.
- Your choice of a $10 Stop n Shop gift card or $10 check.
A treatment referral if desired. If you are experiencing depression and are not actively seeking treatment, we will also be happy to provide you with a referral for treatment at your request.
Participation will include:
- One in-person visit that lasts approximately 30-60 minutes to complete questionnaires about your symptoms and feelings.
- Learning one of three coping strategies for dealing with negative thoughts, which will be taught to you by a member of the research team.
- Practicing the coping strategy for dealing with your negative thoughts based on instructions provided by the research team member.
- One 5-minute phone call the next day to complete a brief follow-up assessment.
All study information is confidential. Research materials will identify participant using a numerical ID code only.
If you are interested in learning more about the Coping With Negative Thoughts Study, please call (401) 455-6465 or fill out the following form and a staff member can contact you by phone. Please provide your name, telephone number, and a good time to reach you.