Many women experience stress, sadness, or worry during the course of pregnancy. Researchers at Butler and Women & Infants hospitals are conducting a study examining whether prenatal yoga classes or mother-baby wellness workshops can help improve mood and feelings of wellbeing during pregnancy. We are looking for women interested in participating in our Wellness for 2 research study.
Understanding how to foster wellbeing for mom and her baby
The Wellness for 2 study is examining two types of programs in order to determine their effects on women who have experienced stress or sadness during their current pregnancy. A brief screening process will determine if the program is a good fit.
You may be eligible if:
- You are 18 years of age or older.
- You are between 12 and 26 weeks pregnant with a single child.
- You have experienced stress or sadness during the current pregnancy.
If you are interested, contact us to verify your eligibility. A staff member will tell you about the study and ask you some questions. Based on the conversation, you may be invited to an in-person interview.
What will I do during the research?
If the study is a good match for you, you will be randomly assigned to one of two study groups.
Prenatal Yoga Classes
Prenatal yoga may help to decrease feelings of stress by giving you some time to focus on yourself and relax.
- Women in the prenatal yoga program will take prenatal yoga classes once per week.
- Prenatal yoga involves gentle stretching and movement. Classes are designed to be safe for pregnant women.
- Women will also receive a yoga mat and prenatal yoga DVD to use for home practice.
- Prenatal yoga instructors have specialized training and experience working with pregnant women.
Mom & Baby Wellness Workshop
The Wellness Workshop may help to decrease feelings of stress by increasing confidence that you can successfully care for yourself and for your growing family in the days ahead.
- Women in the Mom & Baby Wellness Workshop will come to meetings once per week.
- The Wellness Workshop is designed by psychologists with expertise in mom and baby wellness.
- Topics covered include: keeping yourself healthy as your family grows, child development in the first year, and caring for a newborn.
- Women will also receive a free book focused on child development in the first year.
Will I have to pay for classes?
No. There is no cost for study participants. In fact, participants are compensated for their participation.